The new year is the optimal time to commit to living a healthier life. Nothing can light a fire under us like the idea of a fresh start, and here it is!
Plan it out
When making resolutions, planning is essential to their success. Broadly generalizing your goals can deter you from accomplishing them. For example, vowing to lose 20 pounds might seem inspiring, but it’s easier said than done.
Did you know, a quarter of people give up their resolutions one week into the new year? And, only one in ten people actually see it through until the end of the year?
Alexandria Emergency Hospital encourages you to focus on the details of not only what you want to accomplish this year, but how you’re going to achieve it.
Sometimes new year’s resolutions can turn into a laundry list of to-dos, leaving you overwhelmed and set up to fail.
Maybe there are certain objectives you’ve wanted to tackle for a while, and the new year is a perfect push. Or, perhaps you have no idea where to begin, and that’s fine too. To give you some ideas, we’ve listed goals to strive for and specific ways to maintain a happier and healthier life.
Transform your life for the better in 2020 by incorporating these resolutions:
- Drink at least eight glasses of water every day
- Get in bed one hour earlier than your bedtime in 2019
- Pick up a hobby or teach yourself a new skill
- Practice deep breathing on your lunch break at work
- Be kind to yourself physically and mentally—stretch, take baths, correct negative thoughts, etc.
- Break a sweat every day
- Be mindful of what you put into your body—limit sugars, alcohol, fatty meat, etc.
- Slow down and live in the moment—journal each day, make a scrapbook, etc.
- Put your phone down and cut back on all screen time
- Read a book a month—join a book club to hold yourself accountable
- Make yourself a top priority every day—set boundaries and be firm with them
- Communicate well and often with your loved ones—have a designated day of the week to make phone calls and check-in
What does it look like to add these resolutions into your daily routine? How are you going to sustain them? Take some time today to be intentional and think about the steps you’d need to take to accomplish these goals in your own life.
Tulsa ER & Hospital wishes you a happy and healthy new year!
Disclaimer: As a service to our readers, Tulsa ER & Hospital and Nutex Health state no content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinicians.
Nutex Health, Inc supports you and your family’s health. You can depend on Tulsa ER & Hospital or any of our concierge-level, medical facilities to deliver the emergency care you deserve, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.